Thursday, April 07, 2011

Jane Eyre (2011)

I actually went out like a regular person this week and saw a real live movie....like at a theater!  I had to drive an hour and 40 minutes to get there, since it was only playing in two theaters in Michigan and both of them well over 90 miles away...but I did it.  I am so happy I bothered.  Jane Eyre is definitely my favorite book. I think I read it the first time in 9th grade, and I have read it almost every single year at least once.  I have never grown tired of it. However, in movie form...I have seldom been satisfied.   I saw the Orson Welles Version several years ago, so I can't really remember what my issues were with that one.  I do know that I absolutely hated the 1996 version with William Hurt, who in my opinion was the worst Mr. Rochester of all time.  This version wasn't perfect.  There is always either too much of something and not enough of others for me.  This time it was lacking in the early years, both before and after Lowood School those were some of my favorite parts in the book and I always yearn for more in the film versions.  This was by far, my favorite Jane (played by the incredibly talented Mia Wasikowska) and Mr. Rochester (played by the finally interesting enough...Michael Fassbender) so there was no issues there.  I was very pleasantly suprised, and am sure that I will be seeing this again if it comes to a theater a little closer to me.  Its about time someone got a great classic novel right on screen!  See if if you get a chance, I don't think you will be sorry.
Jane Eyre (2011)

No comments: