Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Creation (2009)

I must be in one of those "period pieces aren't working for me lately" kind of mood.  Because this was just okay for me.  I found a lot of it interesting, because, as the product of a Lutheran school education from K-12, I really didn't learn much about Charles Darwin. I think I was hoping for a bit more about him in this film. I got glimpses, but not a whole lot of background. This was most definitely a movie about a very specific time and crisis in his life.  Darwin is played by Paul Bettany, who I think I love....then I watch something and I think I might not like him so much.  He was fantastic in this, but I wasn't in love with him if that makes any sense at all.  Jennifer Connolly, (Bettany's real life wife) plays his wife in the movie, and she has grown on me over the years. I thought she did a really good job here.  The story takes place during the period just before he publishes "On the Origin of Species" and really focuses more on his inner turmoil over the untimely death of his young daughter.  Its touching, emotional and very interesting. The scenes with the Orangutan were especially beautiful and heartbreaking to me. But, I was hoping for more of the science than the struggle of the man himself...yet this was still interesting. And I still recommend it, because it really is worth watching,  if not just for the incredible performances alone. (I was especially impressed by the young actress that played his precocious daughter Annie). That being said, I wasn't jumping up and down over this one. I might have to try it again earlier in the day when I am feeling more ambitious
Creation

No comments: