Thursday, April 28, 2011

Memphis the Musical (2011)

Oh Holy Crap, I loved this movie/show/whatever you want to call it.  When I went to NYC, last June, "Memphis" had just won the 2010 Tony Award....I had absolutely no interest in seeing it. I remember the song was okay that I heard that night, but it didn't shake me up enough for it to even make it to my "maybe" list when we were thinking about things to see.  Now we all know what happened next...I saw American Idiot, and my life spiralled out of control for almost a year.  American Idiot, sadly, closed on Broadway on April 24, and I have to let it go for awhile until the tour comes around.  So I read about this special 4 day showing of Memphis (which had been filmed on Broadway during January of this year) and I thought, why the heck not?  It was certainly cheaper than another trip to NYC to see something and I could take my Mom as a Mother's Day gift.  I knew some of my Twitter friends really liked it, so it couldn't possibly suck...but I knew nothing about it. I was in for quite a surprise. First of all....I freaking LOVED it, so much that I haven't been able to get it out of my head.  Secondly, the filming was magnificent. I wish they would film all shows like that, even if just for the post-closing days when they know for sure people aren't going to be coming to see the show (until it tours of course) but doing this certainly broadens the audience a bit.  I know people from my tiny little town or area, are not flocking to the city to see shows anyway on a regular basis.  These are people who would otherwise miss a fantastic experience like this.  I will admit to only one drawback....the live audience experience. I do enjoy clapping when a song is done, and just feeling the excitement being in the audience having a shared experience with everyone else brings.  However, that being said...you couldn't have a better seat if you saw this live.  The different camera shots brought this thing bigger than life. It was fantastic, in crystal clear HD, the music was fabulous.  The performances were incredible. I am sorry I didn't see this live. I am not even sure that I won't sneak out on Saturday to see it one last time. (If anyone hasn't seen it, its still playing one or two more dates this week I think Friday and Saturday afternoon....you really should do it...for real) I am hoping that they release this version on DVD eventually because I will be buying it for sure.  The story is about a quirky little white DJ in Memphis, who falls in love with a beautiful black singer.  He goes over and beyond trying to get her music out there and change her life.  Its during the tumultuous period at the height of the civil rights movement that this show takes place, and its very powerful and moving.  I can't say enough good things about this, go see the live show if you can, and if not, check it out, you have a few days left to catch this incredible version in theaters!
http://www.memphisthemusical.com/about.html

No comments: