Monday, April 25, 2011

Japanese Story (2003)

I think that this is one of the more difficult blog posts to write about anything I have watched to date.  Its not that I can't tell you what I thought about it...though my feelings about this movie changed from moment to moment.  Sometimes I was in love with it, the beauty of the cinematography was stunning, and much of the movie is quiet with very, VERY little dialogue during the two main characters interaction.  Sometimes I hated it, it felt slow, and well...slow.  But the performances were spectacular, especially Toni Collette, who I have yet to see in anything that I didn't like.  She is so fantastic, not needing to speak to convey a mountain of feelings.  The reason I hesitate to post too much is because too much will really spoil this film.  I feel like its absolutely worth watching, you are either going to love it or hate it, or love parts and hate others.  I will say that I cried like a baby, and I don't do that so often anymore.  This was a beautiful movie.  Plain and simple. I won't be horribly offended though, if you say you watched it and wondered, "what the hell were you thinking?"  And thats okay too.
Japanese Story (2003)

No comments: