Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Too Far Behind...(week of March 28- April 4)

Okay, so as usual...I have started to fall too far behind to catch up by doing new posts and fixing the dates to work it out.  So I am going to admit that I skipped a few movies, do what I like to call "the week of failure" for my project in one lump post.  As a disclaimer, apart from this movie project, I also have been planning my kids curriculum for next year, starting to work on going back to school myself and...more importantly.....trying to catch up on Doctor Who before the new season starts on April 23! So last week was an I'm-trying-to-catch-up-as-fast-as-I-can week, but it didn't work out. I will try to see exactly how many movies I am short and squeeze them in this summer during quieter times!  So what I DID watch was:

Beeswax (2009) : Not a fan.  There were things I found endearing about this movie.  But for the most part, I felt it was kind of a waste of my afternoon!  Its really a super, super tiny movie, that wasn't really "about" anything.  Its a few weeks in the life of twin sisters (played by non professional actors) and the changes and struggles they are going through.  What it felt like though...was that there wasn't really a story.  I felt like I came in partway through the movie, missed what was really going on (though you can kind of gain insight of parts of it during the film) and it took awhile to figure out what the point was. There doesn't seem to be one.  The film was kind of nice to look at. I thought both girls were interesting and did a good job for not being professional actors.  But I didn't "get it" and I can handle small movies.  This just didn't work for me.

13 Most Beautiful..Songs for Andy Warhol's Screen Tests (2009)  Again...I guess I just didn't get it. Don't get me wrong, I find Andy Warhol pretty intriguing. I almost always will watch movies that have anything to do with him.  This was just okay.  I loved the music, but watching the actual film (just several actors and actresses, including Dennis Hopper doing silent screen tests) was boring from time to time.  I can't say I hated it.  But I definitely got bored.  Perhaps the time I watched it (2am) had something to do with it.  But unless you are a huge Warhol fan, or have an hour that you won't mind sitting and watching silent actors and nice music....I don't really recommend it.

Worlds Greatest Dad (2009) Absolutely loved it.  I will probably even watch it again with my husband because I know he will like it as well. This was a pretty dark comedy but really, super smart, and so worth watching.  Beware, its definitely on the dark side, and has some pretty rough language and plotlines. The basic story (so as not to give anything big away) has Robin Williams playing a Dad who loses his son to an unfortunate freak accident.  His son....not such a nice kid....and his "legacy" sort of takes on a life of its own.  As usual, Robin Williams does a fantastic job in a more serious role, reminding me that he really is a great actor and not just a funny guy.  I definitely think this one is worth watching.  It reminded me a bit of one of my favorites...the classic "Heathers" in ways...and also I think has a lot of scary truths hidden in there. Great stuff directed by one of my favorites: (and I am not ashamed to admit it) Bobcat Goldthwaite....check it out if you dare!

Happy Tears (2009) I think its interesting that all the movies I actually watched this week were released in 2009!  Okay...so for awhile I thought I might not even finish watching this because I couldn't get into it.  Parkey Posey plays a clearly unsatisfied woman who comes home to help her sister played by Demi Moore, decide what to do with their father who is slowly slipping into dementia.  The father is played by the always interesting Rip Torn.  I ended up really liking this.  There were parts I hated.  Jayne (the Parker Posey character) often has these surreal visions/dreams.  I think they were supposed to be artistic, but ended up just being annoying to me most of the time.  Demi Moore was beautiful as always, and I thought that this was both painful and amusing throughout.  I think for the most part it aims to be a dark comedy, but sometimes comes off as being the typical independent drama with a few laughs.  Overall, I wasn't sorry I watched it, but I don't think its going to work for everyone.

Here is hoping that I catch up and get back on track this week.  If I didn't lose you all already....thanks for sticking around. I will try to do better, I promise!
Beeswax
13 Most Beautiful...Songs for Andy Warhol's Screen Tests (not listed on IMDB...check out Netflix.com for more info!)
World's Greatest Dad
Happy Tears

No comments: