Friday, April 15, 2011

Little Women (1994)

I feel like a complete cheat and loser for using this movie today.  I did watch it today, so at least that isn't cheating. Of course I have seen in many, many times...and the one I watched today?  On the OWN network, not even DVR'd, I actually had to sit through commercials.  I happened to have the channel on, the movie started, and I couldn't stop watching it.  I really love this particular version of this movie.  Little Women is like the opposite of Jane Eyre for me.  Its my other all time favorite book, but there isn't a film version that I don't like at least a little bit.  This one by far is my favorite because it stays pretty true to the book, while blending things from Lousia May Alcott's life into the plot.  I loved, loved, LOVED Susan Sarandon as "Marmee" and though I am not the biggest Winona Ryder fan in the world these days (and probably wouldn't have cast her here either...) I thought she was tolerable. Do I think she deserved an Oscar Nomination for her role that year? No way.  Then again, I don't remember who else was fantastic that year. I remember being surprised at her nomination for this movie. The score by Thomas Newman really worked for me as well.  Christian Bale is the perfect Laurie and Claire Danes was incredible as usual, as the heartbreaking Beth.  Sometimes that girl takes my breath away she is so incredibly beautiful and knows exactly how to rip your heart out with just a look.  I will never get tired of watching this movie, if you haven't seen it....you totally should. If you have never read the book?  Get off the computer and dig it out, download it, do whatever it is you do with books in your world. I think everyone should read this book at least once. That's my PSA for the day.
Little Women (1994)

No comments: